Student electives


Hello Students!

If you would like to do a rural elective but are not sure where to go then send us an email and we will circulate it on our members forum. Zithulele Hospital has good information on electives, and the following articles may give some insight into doing rural electives.

Students perspectives on the value of rural electives

If you are from a university outside South Africa then you have to register with one of the South African Universities and the Health Professions Council of South Africa. Most of the universities offer this registration as a "package". Also in South Africa universities are often linked to specific geographical areas, so if you want to work in a specific province then use a university sited in that province. You may also like to talk to South African medical students.

Please contact the universities directly:

University of Cape Town, Western Province

Stellenbosch University, Western Province

University of KwaZulu- Natal, KwaZulu Natal Province

Wits Rural Health Club

Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for electives at this stage.

Print Email